So this is definitely something different. There is a slight resemblance to a Caesar salad but with a funky touch. I love halloumi and use it a lot in dishes that usually have meat. I think bacon goes really well with halloumi, but wanted to keep this vegetarian so decided to replace it with crunchy carrots.
You can use your favorite Caesar dressing, or make my Lemony Garlic Feta Dressing. It’s delicious with this salad.
This recipe serves 2.
250g halloumi, sliced
2 eggs, room temperature
2 little gem lettuce, leaves washed and dried
Lemony Garlic Feta Dressing or your favorite Caesar dressing
1 tablespoon olive oil
For the carrot:
1 small carrot, peeled
1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoon honey
Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 180C and line an oven tray with parchment paper.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the carrot into thin ribbons. Whisk together the olive oil, honey, paprika and salt. Place the ribbons on the prepared tray and brush both sides with the oil mixture. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, keeping an eye as they burn quickly. Once the carrots are browned transfer to a paper towel to cool off, this will allow them to turn crispy.
- Fill a small pot with water and bring to a boil. Carefully drop the eggs into the water and cook for 7 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Peel the eggs and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Fry the halloumi slices about 3 minutes per side until browned.
- Toss the lettuces leaves with the dressing and serve with the halloumi, egg and carrot bacon. Enjoy!