I love me a good burger! Whether beef, fish, veggie, pork or chicken. I am a true believer that burgers don’t need an excessive amount of toppings, simplicity is the best. This is such an easy burger: throw the chicken in the oven (allow the fat to turn crispy), the onions are ready in about 10 minutes and toast the buns. That. Is. IT.
Don’t forget, every burger needs some mayo, ketchup, lettuce and tomato!
This recipe makes 4 burgers
670g boneless chicken thighs
1 tablespoon ground paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
4 burger buns
For the onions
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons whiskey
- Turn the oven to 220C and line an oven tray with parchment paper.
- Mix the chicken thighs with the oil, ground paprika, salt and pepper. Arrange on the oven tray and cook in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
- For the onions, heat the olive oil over low-medium heat. Add the onions and slowly cook for about 10 minutes, while stirring frequently. Turn up the heat and add the honey, balsamic vinegar and whiskey. Stir for a few seconds and turn off the heat; season with salt and set aside.
- Toast the burger buns during the last few minutes while the chicken is cooking.
- Now it is time to make these burgers: add some mayo, ketchup, lettuce and tomato, top with the chicken and finally add a good amount of the caramelised whiskey onions. Enjoy!