Another burger, but so worth it. I could eat avocado, salsa and nachos all day, every day. So why not top it on a burger? Just seems like the right thing to do. Add some tortilla chips on the side and you have such a tasty dish.
One bite of this tomato salsa and you will want more. It’s so easy and yummy, you won’t want to go back to store-bought salsa.
I went very crazy with this burger, 250g of meat per burger… insane! But sometimes it’s necessary. You can definitely make this into 4 burgers, or go crazy and make two!
This recipe serves 2-4.
500g good quality minced beef, room temperature
2 tablespoon ketchup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup grated cheese of choice
For the salsa
580g medium tomatoes (about 8)
1 large white onion, keep skin on
2 cloves of garlic, keep skin on
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
Pinch of red chili flakes
1/4 cup parsley or coriander
Directions for the salsa
- Preheat the oven to 200C and have a large oven-proof dish ready.
- Slice off the ends of the onions and slice in half. Now slice the tomatoes in half and add these, face down, to the oven dish with the onions (face down) and garlic cloves. Season with salt and black pepper.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, sugar and pinch of chili flakes. Pour the mixture over the tomatoes, onion and garlic.
- Put the vegetables in the oven and roast uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Allow the vegetables to cool; remove the skin from the onion and garlic and blend together in a food processor with the tomatoes, parsley or coriander. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if necessary. Set aside.
For the burgers
- Mix together the beef, salt, pepper and ketchup. Divide the beef into 4 portions and flatten a bit. Using your thumb create an indent in the middle of the burger.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Grill the burgers (indent side-up) uncovered for 2-3 minutes. Flip the burgers over, add the cheese and cook covered for another 2-3 minutes. I cook my burgers for 2 minutes per side to get medium-rare. Transfer the burgers to a plate and allow to rest for a few minutes.
- Toast the burger buns to your liking. Using a fork mash together the avocados and season with salt and pepper.
- Now it’s team to assemble the burger. Add some salsa to the bun, top with the patties, avocado and jalapeño peppers. Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!