So I kind of cheated with this recipe as I used store-bought falafel. I will be honest, homemade is way better, but sometimes these short-cuts are necessary. This is why this recipe is such a perfect week-day meal but still something a bit different.
The rice (I used brown rice, but you can switch it for white rice) is cooked and then fried in a bit of olive oil to get that delicious crunch. The pickled cucumber only takes a few minutes and adds great flavor. The falafel, well as you now is store-bought but if you wish to make it yourself then great!
This recipe serves 2
1 cup brown rice
1 small onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground chili
1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 + 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the cucumber
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
Favorite store-bought or homemade falafel
1 avocado, chopped
2 small handfuls of spinach leaves
- Cook the rice according to the instructions.
- Using a vegetable peeler, slice the cucumber in ribbons. When the seeds become visible, start slicing the other side(s). In a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, honey, oil and salt. Add the cucumber, mix and set aside.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions until translucent and then mix in the garlic. Stir in the dry herbs and spices. Now add the remaining olive oil and rice to pan; mix until well combined. Finally, press down the rice to cover the bottom of the skillet and cook for about 6 minutes until crispy.
- In the meantime prepare the falafel according to the instructions.
- Divide the rice among the plates. Top with the spinach leaves, avocado, cucumber and falafel. Enjoy!
Tip: You can serve this with a yogurt dressing but I decided to keep it simple.